Tuesday, August 9, 2011

What kind of alto saxophone mouthpiece for a post-bop sound?

Hello everyone, I'm a recent high school graduate and jazz alto saxophone player. I play a Yamaha YAS-82 Custom Z with a Rovner leather ligature and up until now I've used a Vandoren V16 A6 mouthpiece. I use LaVoz medium strength reeds. I've had my Vandoren mouthpiece for years and it's been excellent, however the rails have gotten dinged up over time and the mouthpiece doesn't always seal. I'd like to buy a new mouthpiece before college. I've been working on getting a post bop alto sound (Jim Snidero, Art Pepper, Phil Woods, etc.) so I wanted to know what kind of mouthpiece would best suit me. I plan on going to a music store in New York and trying out several different models, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm considering simply buying a new Vandoren V16. I'm willing to spend up to $250 and I really don't think anything higher would be practical. I'll take any and all suggestions, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment